The members of the Justice, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (JDEI) Committee of the Western Mass Chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club (WMC AMC) are committed to making outdoor recreational spaces in Western Mass accessible, safe and inviting to all people. We are working fervently to determine and eradicate barriers that inhibit equitable participation. We desire to bring outdoor activities to diverse populations by finding ways to meet people where they are.
If you would like to get involved, join our biweekly meeting here or click this link to self-subscribe to the JDEI mailing list so you can stay connected and find out ways you can contribute. To communicate directly with our committee, email Western Mass JDEI Steering Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
The WMC JDEI committee is still in its early stages and we recognize that the WMC AMC is not fully representative of the larger Western MA community. It is our hope we can open lines of communication and partnership, so as to learn how the WMC AMC can foster and support broader community engagement in outdoor recreation.
Ongoing Action Items:
- To support and hone DEI training and feedback for all AMC leaders, so as to foster and support an equitable, safe and inclusive environment for all participants. Please see AMC DEI Resource Guide and DEI Common Language Guide.
- To engage and support training of diverse folks interested in becoming AMC volunteer leaders for Hiking/ Backpacking, Climbing, Paddling, Biking or Family Outings, through WM Chapter’s annual leadership training.
- To provide webinars and resources that raise awareness about social justice issues and offer actionable ways to bring about change.
Proposed Action Items for 2022:
- To jump start community interest in the outdoors, remove barriers and demonstrate what WMC AMC has to offer through outdoor activities such as hiking, paddling, climbing led by AMC trained staff/ volunteers in our Western, MA urban backyard.
- To support the development of programming that welcomes and prepares young people to participate in outdoor activities, meeting them where they are.
- To develop a feedback system where all activity participants have the opportunity to respond candidly about their experiences with WMA AMC staff/ volunteer led activities, so as to promote both physical and emotional safety and eliminate impediments to full participation.