We are excited to announce that The Berkshire Exchange, the Chapter's periodic newsletter, will resume publication in Spring 2019! We have a brand-new newsletter in store for you and we need your help! What are we looking for? Writers who love the outdoors. Whether you hike, rock climb, ski, swim, forage, cycle, camp, kayak, nature watch, advocate for outdoor conservation, or all of the above, we want to hear from you! The submission deadline for the Spring 2019 issue is March 15, 2019. Send submissions and photos to email@example.com.
Even more exciting, we have a new newsletter editor! Cody Andrews is a recent transplant to Western Mass. She enjoys hiking, trail running, rock climbing, admiring forest growth, and playing in the woods with her dog Brogan. Her education is in English and Teaching, where her love of writing, editing, and teaching others in various capacities began. Cody is excited to be joining the Berkshire Chapter's Executive Committee as newsletter editor, and is looking forward to reading about the adventures AMC members have in the outdoors!
Guidelines for Authors
When preparing articles for publication in the Chapter's newsletter, please consider the following guidelines:
- Typical article length is 200-400 words
- Write about the outdoors
- Write about something that interests you
- Relate your subject to the AMC Mission
- Make it interesting! Tell a story, create images for the reader with your words.
- Share photos to go with your articles
Types of Articles
- Story (about a camping trip, hiking, skiing, rock climbing, etc.)
- Creative fictional story about the outdoors
- Creative nonfiction
- “How to” articles - e.g., foraging, camping in the cold, identifying edible mushrooms, drying herbs, pressing flowers, being safe in the wild, being safe around wild animals
- Noteworthy outdoor travel destinations
- Reviews - e.g., best outdoor gear, best hikes in our area, etc.
- Gently used gear for sale/swap
- Photos for trivia - where was this photo taken? identify this plant, etc.